“It’s not fair! I workout everyday and changed my whole diet and only lost 2 pounds! My husband just cut out soda and lost 10lbs!”
I have this conversation countless times per year both in South Carolina and now in Chester County. But why is it that, generally, men have an easier time losing weight than women?
1. Weight loss is correlated with total body weight. So generally, you lose a percentage of your body weight each week. So, if you lose 1% of your weight, a 175lbs woman will lose 1.75lbs versus a 250lbs man will lose 2.5lbs. After a month that’s 7lbs and 10lbs.
2. Women generally diet more often. It’s been studied that the more you diet, the less effective diets are for weight loss. A lot of women will diet 365 days a year, while men might diet for a few months. The human body isn’t designed to be dieting all year long. 3. Higher estrogen levels in women makes their bodies hold onto body fat easier
4. Higher testosterone levels in men makes it easier for them to burn body fat and build muscle faster
5. Men tend to have more muscle mass, which does help them burn more calories everyday.
6. Men aren’t afraid of pushing to the limits in their workouts. A common fear for women is “bulking up” with weight training, so they stick to lighter weights. This will limit any adaptations the body is going to make, leading to less calories burned during and after workouts. (easy fix: weight training won’t bulk you up. Lift heavier)
7. Men generally store more water, sodium, and glycogen (carbs) in their bodies. When altering their diets, the depletion of these three things can cause rapid weight loss for a month or two. But that weight loss is only water weight, not body fat.
Yes, men do lose weight faster than women initially. But after a few months, things start to slow down and they will lose about the same percent each week/month as a woman.
Weight loss is an individual journey, don’t try to compare your journey to someone else’s. There will be a million people who lose weight faster and easier than you and a million people who have a harder time.
Need help with this journey? Come to our gym in West Chester, PA to get the best fat burning workouts. Just email us at [email protected] To get started.